[TYPO3-dev] captcha

Zorik zorik2005 at zorik.net
Thu Dec 14 11:37:15 CET 2006

> And so? AFAIK spammers don't care about laws. There are anti spam laws in
> many countries yet they still send spam.

See, that's about "discrimination". :)
Using captcha is equal to saying "all bots are spammers".
Using checkbox - is drawing a line between what is legal and what is not for
bots (using robots.txt is the same, actually).

As I said, the main issue here is identification - differentiate humans and
bots.

As I said, creating a framework for forms creation and verification built of
various extensions (services) should provide many many solutions for
prevention of this kind of spam. Because each developer could provide his
own solution (like captcha) and in the end you will end up with a very
solid base of "tricks" against spammers.

The only solution which could totally prevent spambots - is visitor
identification.

All the "technology tricks" are good for postponing the spambot, but not
preventing. You may sleep well for couple of days, but as soon as the trick
becomes widely used and known - it will be broken (actually, same applies
to network security).

--
Zorik