[TYPO3-dev] List of modifications for TemplaVoila

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Dec 1 12:40:43 CET 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

> R. van Twisk wrote:
>> I also don't understand Dmitrys behaviors, it seems like he wants to
>> have all changes nicely spread and documented on bugtrack like morning
>> breakfast in a hotel.
>> That is not an open source spirit!
>
> Who said this? Take a look how PHP, Eclipse or Linux kernel is
> developed. Everything goes through bug tracker, even feature requests!

I agree completely. Imagine that you would have to put your Linux system
together from individual kernel patches. I guess there wouldn't be many
Linux users at all. But hey, come on, this is open source spirit! :-)

> There is no anarchy in typo3. If you want a patch, put it to bug
> tracker, please. This really helps in development and tracking. If one
> *sends* me a patch that fixes many things, this patch most likely will
> not be applied until it becomes really critical. I do not have time to
> put it to bug tracker myself or find how one or another problem was
> fixed. Sorry.

Exactly.

Tapio: I agree that separating a huge patch is a time-consuming task.
However, if you remember this for future changes, you won't have this
problem anymore.

What I usually do is this:

1) Update to the latest SVN revision, no changes made
2) Make my changes
3) When finished, do a diff and save it as a file
4) Revert the changes so I can start over again with an unmodified system

There are usually not many changes depending on each other. In case this
still occurs, I just add a notice to the patch so I won't forget about
that. No problem after all, and works pretty well...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out