[TYPO3-dev] UTF-8 and correct sorting for German umlauts

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4many.net
Thu Aug 31 11:37:14 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Peter Russ schrieb:
>> Trying to get correct sorted list out of static_countries UTF-8 coded
>> for German either delivers Umlaut at the beginning, in between or at
>> the end of the list but never at the right place, depending on the
>> collate setting utf8_general_ci, utf8_unicode_ci or utf8_bin.
>
> The docs [1] say this:
>
> utf8_general_ci (similar to latin1_german1_ci):
[...]
> utf8_unicode_ci:

[...]
> So in *theory* all should be fine ;-)
>
> Note that there is no utf8 equivalent to latin1_german2_ci:
>
> Ä = AE
> Ö = OE
> Ü = UE
> ß = ss
>
> Masi
>
> [1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/de/charset-unicode-sets.html

1) For me it seams to be a bug in TYPO3:
If DB is set to UTF-8 BEFORE any update/insert a "set names 'utf8'"
should be send. This will at least sort Umlaut to the base character.

2) For German Umlaut, guess similar for other languages:
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?103,82818,85411#msg-85411
"It is possible to implement Gernan Dictionary collation for UTF8.
But it will need some code addition in string/ctype-uca.c"
Good to know ;-)

Ideas/comments?

Regs. Peter.

--