[TYPO3-dev] documentation for all system extensions

Bernd Wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Aug 25 19:27:02 CEST 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:07:27 +0000 (UTC), Erik Svendsen wrote
with subject "Re: [TYPO3-dev] documentation for all system extensions":

What about a new functionality to the EM?
in the overview of all extensions there could be a checkbox to every
extension (and a button to check all at once ;-) ) and a button for
deleting all documents from the selected extensions.

I think it would be a good idea to ship the documentation with the
extension at once. So it is always the correct version.
On a development-server you have the needed docs and before copying all for
the live-server you use the new EM-functionality to remove all docs.
Or in case you build up a website on the later on webserver you can delete
docs when going live.

And I don't think that those few MB of documentation you download and
delete afterwards will ruin anyone.

Maybe the removing of the full-docs places a readme in the doc-dir:
| you can get the manual for this extension online at http://...

But maybe there is a new version of the extension and the manual. Then you
have to dig for the older extension-version to get the old manual.

Is there enough space to hold manuals to all versions of any extension?
Then you can link direct to the manual of the correct version of an
extension. Else you may create a mechanism to extract only the manuals from
the stored full archive of the older version of the extension.

In general I don't like the idea of having only an URL.
How much links are broken because of restructuring of typo3.org?
we have lost a great part of help and documentation because a lot of links
in so many forum- and newsgroup-articels are broken.
It is like having a dictionary and tear it apart into hundred of pages:
you still have all pages but you can not look for a word because the order
ist lost.

e.g. Still the tsref-link in the newest version of extdeveval is broken,
because noone has updated it to the new location. :(

Bernd
--
Bernd Wilke