[TYPO3-dev] documentation for all system extensions

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Thu Aug 24 12:07:27 CEST 2006

Hello Dmitry,

> Hi!
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>> A worthy goal would be to provide docs for all extensions shipped
>> within sysext. Escpecially indexed_search lacks any documentation.
>>
> I do not think it should be shipped with typo3. It should be published
> on typo3.org but doc folders for extensions should have README that
> contains URL to the actual doc.
>
> In general docs are not needed on a running system. I really do not
> like when space in production is occupied by things that are never
> used (like CVS/SVN/docs/dat files).
>
> Another idea is to prepare a separate tar.gz with docs only. This
> should have the same directory structure as typo3 package and come for
> each typo3 version.
>
> "It is our choices, that show what we truly are,
> far more than our abilities." (A.P.W.B.D.)

+1. To both of the ideas. Standard behavior should be either readme with
url, or url in the ext. manager to docs on typo3.org. This should work for
both sysext extensions and other extensions. Will give an easy way to find
documentation, but not any overhead on server. It could be a choice to download
documentation if wanted.

A separate package could be a good choice on development servers.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no