[TYPO3-dev] Announcing TYPO3 4.0.1

Bernd Wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 23 20:23:27 CEST 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:16:14 +0200, Peter Kindström wrote
with subject "Re: [TYPO3-dev] Announcing TYPO3 4.0.1":

> Hi,
> > 1) Resolving file permissions on shared host servers

That could be a whole document:
How to get TYPO3 started on different servers and environments.
What problems could occur and how to solve them?

> > 2) Build your HTML web page template with markers
> > 3) Build your default CSS file
> > 4) Add a root page for your new website
> > 5) Add a root setup template to TYPO3
> > 6) Add an extension probably auto alias
> > 7) Add content pages with the create many pages function
> > 8) View the front end with friendly page urls. /welcome.html (Simulate
> > static on alias)
> > 9) Create a front end user and password protected pages
>
> Please don´t make yet another new document!  :-(
> *What is wrong with updating existing ones?* Without checking
> out carefully, it looks to me like most of those subjects
> already are present somewhere in existing documentation.

I think so there are a lot of ways to get a running homepage with TYPO3,
there should be a lot of documents to describe them.

and I don't think that those old documents should stay forever as the only
documents to build up a TYPO3-site.
especialy since they depend on software which doesn't exist in this form
any more. Or they describe a way noone should do it anymore (table-layout
instead of XHTML with CSS).
We are doing it better nowadays than one year ago, why should a beginner
has to start the same history than us?

> > As I see it this streamlines the newbie process and shortcuts the current
> > 'getting started' and the 'MTB1' docs while bringing them up to date with
> > v4.0 screenshots.
>
> But we risk having the same information in two (or more) places,
>   very confusing and not very helpful for the community and/or
> newbies in the long run...  :-(

that may be right, but we need newer and better documents and only the
newbies can decide which document fits their needs best.
As long as they can find all this documents in one place they can.
And so time will show which document is the best.

The best will be a teamwork where all good ideas are gathered into one
single document, which handles all possible cases.
But: how much details are neccessary and what is too much for newbies?

there should be documents for people of all knowledge-stages. You can't put
all into one single document. that would be counterproductive to teach
newbies a way to TYPO3.

As our local group has revoked a project to get a introduction into TYPO3
with a good documentation and with base-templates for a basic website,
other are doing the same.
The time has come to have better introductions and tools.

> ----
>
> It would be *very nice* if you wrote the information, but please
> don´t put it in a separate document. Instead try to get the
> author to update the original documentation.

And waiting for updates from people, whose interests have changed may take
a long while. a very long while.

> I you like, I can help you with finding the above subjects in
> existing documentation and with getting those documents updated!

Bernd
--
Bernd Wilke