[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 Icon Contribution

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Mon Aug 21 09:28:46 CEST 2006

Christopher schrieb:
> On 8/18/06, Martin Kutschker <Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net> wrote:
>
>> Michael Scharkow schrieb:
>> > Martin Kutschker schrieb:
>> >

> <snip>
>

>> And the idea to set a style for TAG without bindign
>> to a class still makes me shudder...
>

> Sorry if this seems like a stupid question--I have /not/ dug into the
> skinning API or looked very deeply into the new skin.  But why would
> styling tags directly be a bad idea?

If you have somethig like INPUT {...} you affect *all* generated HTML code
in the *whole* BE. This will a) be a trouble for extensions that don*'t
expects such a behaviour and b) makes troubles anyway as INPUT tags can be
text fields, check boxes and radio buttons. Many X-browser problems in the
new skin stem from that problematic definition. Yes, there is a very
unfortunate INPUT declaring in the skin.

To be precise. The skin tries to add some height into TCA form sections.
The BE has no classes for the TDs. So the skin added paddings or margins (I
don't rememver) to all INPUT tags. This is ugly in many situatiosn and
completele destroys the alignment of checkboxes.

 > Styling the BE would have different requirements from the FE, and must
 > use many more classes, but even in the BE there must be many times
 > when it makes sense to set a default style--by styling the tag--and
 > afterwards /vary/ that style as needed with classes?

For some tags perhaps. But it must be an unintrusive default (eg font
size). Adding margins to INPUT elements was a very badd idea.

The problem is that the current BE lacks some classes. This must be changed
for 4.0.2.

Masi