[Typo3-dev] TypoScript 2: a bit of a RFC

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Nov 30 21:11:39 CET 2005

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] wrote:

> I like the idea of making TS much more complicate to write.
> I am already looking forward to helping all the fully lost users between
> [s and )s and *s and so on...

Me too! Plus, I don't see the need for it.

> Some claims from this thread commented:
> "TS should be updated"
> Fine, this seems to be wanted by a lot of people but to be honest I
> still don't see the point.

Well, what I see are missing features, but no needs for a rewrite.

For example, I still miss the possibilities...

- To use constants inside of constants
  Example usage: add a value to an existing list without rewriting the whole
  list again

- To merge subproperties into an existing one (don't overwrite the array,
  just merge its contents)

- To combine conditions: "([cond1] || ([cond2] && [cond3])) && [cond4]"

> "We need to debug TS"
> Ok, I see the problem on one hand.
> I don't have the need for that - my stuff works.
> More complex TS is much like test-driven-development mentioned by Robert.
> Think BEFORE you write TS and get results without downtimes.

OK, that's your wording! ;-)
I'd say that debugging is possible but probably works different than
elsewhere.

- Typos:
  I think it would be a nice feature to search for every key in
  static_tsconfig_help. This however requires that this table becomes
  updated which it is currently not! However, Robert is working on it.

- Debug values:
  Possible using the stdWrap "debug" property

- Breakpoints:
  I know that there is such a possibility in TYPO3 but I must admit that I
  never used the feature so far. Anyone?

- Missing braces:
  This is highlighted in the object browser, so the feature could easily be
  moved out into a "debug" module. But generally, it's just a matter of
  clean work (means: indent your subproperties with tabulators)

- Anything else that needs to be debugged?

> "We can do an IDE that writes and validates TS for us"
> Nice, ever remembered the numerous approaches to this issue?
> I remember 4.
> Bottomline: No Cash!

That's one of the points. I really wonder how many discussions we already
had about Typoscript and that it should be changed, but in fact, nothing
has ever changed!

That's something which I really don't like on this mailing list: So many of
you have great ideas but never started to deliver a result!

My opinion: Work on the more important tasks: Fix one of the 1000 bugs in
the bugtracker, write a cool extension, or help to support a beginner on
one of the user lists. That's a better waste of time.

> Remember:
> You talk "recode all your TS if you want to update TYPO3".
> This would remove one of the key values of TYPO3 - updates without hassle.

I agree this is a no-go!

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out