[Typo3-dev] TypoScript 2: a bit of a RFC

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Wed Nov 30 19:22:42 CET 2005

Dimitri Tarassenko wrote:
> Plus, you're saving on having to type "page.10" twice, you should be comparing:
>
> page.10 = HTML
> page.10.value = something

> page[10](HTML) {
>     value = "something"
> }
>
> or even
>
> page[10](HTML).value = "something"
>
> On another hand, maybe we should follow the more common object
> definition syntax, and emulate
>
> int i = 5;
>
> In other words,
>
> HTML page[10] {
>     value = "something"
> }
>
> This, however may be too much a shift for the current TS users.

I like the idea of making TS much more complicate to write.
I am already looking forward to helping all the fully lost users between
[s and )s and *s and so on...

Some claims from this thread commented:
"TS should be updated"
Fine, this seems to be wanted by a lot of people but to be honest I
still don't see the point.
I can do everything I want with TS so maybe someone could enlighten me
with things he cannot do with a CONFIGURATION LANGUAGE, not a
PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE.
If all the problems result out of the problem that I can't wrap wraps or
that HTML is somewhat different from TEXT and the TEXT Object works a
bit different in the GIFBUILDER context I think it is complete nonsense
to trade "my projects not updatable" for "yeah, now I can wrap wraps,
wooweee"

"We need to debug TS"
Ok, I see the problem on one hand.
I don't have the need for that - my stuff works.
More complex TS is much like test-driven-development mentioned by Robert.
Think BEFORE you write TS and get results without downtimes.

"We can do an IDE that writes and validates TS for us"
Nice, ever remembered the numerous approaches to this issue?
I remember 4.
Bottomline: No Cash!

any other new miracles I don't know of yet?

Remember:
You talk "recode all your TS if you want to update TYPO3".
This would remove one of the key values of TYPO3 - updates without hassle.

*getting ready for a beating*
Mattes

--
if ($GLOBALS['TSFE']->fe_user->user['ahnung'] == 0) {
	$this->fresseHalten = 1;