[Typo3-dev] Validating TypoScript - Schema vs. DTD

Mark Ravitz mark_r at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 29 22:17:52 CET 2005

Peter Russ wrote:

> Anything you want to know to make things clear about XML and Schema
> can be found at www.w3c.org.
>
> The point I see is that developing the schemata is a vaste of time,
> resources and efforts. Is JAVA that popular because it can be
> validated? Or are there more "coders" for BASIC in the world ;-)
>
> Debugging TS is not that complicate.

As an occasional user of TYPO3, having built two commercial TYPO3 web
sites,  I strongly disagree.

> It just takes some time of experience. And depends on how the code is
> developed ;-)

I don't have time :-(

Debugging TS involves more than getting the syntax right, you must
figure out if you
are using the right TS strategy, and then you have to decode the TSRef
documentation.
Solving all three problems can be very time consuming.

(Sorry but the following is off topic)

Validating TS would be great, but my problems with TS would be solved if
the TSRef was improved.  It's written in such a terse, abbreviated style
that
I spend most of my TS development time trying understand the TS objects.
It would be better if the TSRef  format was changed so that there was space
for more verbose explanations of properties and options, and if there were
'copy and paste' examples of everything.

TS syntax may be unusual, but it's clearly documented.  The TS objects are
not clearly documented.

I wish the whole TSRef  was moved to the wiki, sort of like the PHP on line
manual

Mark Ravitz