[Typo3-dev] eaccelerator benchmarking

Steffen Müller steffen at mail.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 28 12:51:13 CET 2005

Hi.

On 11/28/2005 09:31 AM Michael Stucki wrote:

>>Recommodations:
>>- If you cannot spend enough memory for shm (as a rule <32MB), a
>>solution would be to cleanup scripts by short TTL values or even
>>completely turn off eaccelerator for the BE (see below).
>

> True. Can you make a suggestion that I can add to the documentation, please?

PLease give me some more time to test things.

>>- Test your requirements. Increase the amount of memory until the limit
>>of needed memory is reached. Then reconfigure your php.ini.
>>
>>Configuration hints:
>>To cleanup memory, delete all memory objects which have not been
>>accessed e.g. in the last 30 minutes once shm is full:
>># eaccelerator.shm_ttl="1800"
>

> Does anything speak against setting this value by default?

You mean for the Debian package, right?
Well, depends on how much traffic you have in the BE and of course if
you have a TYPO3 only server. My idea was, that most FE scripts are
called more frequently than every 30 minutes but BE module do not. This
might be different on different environments. The default right now is 0
that means they never get killed. In my eyes, this is not a good idea if
you don't use harddisk cache and cannot kill old files by cron.

>>To turn eaccelerator off in the BE, add the following two lines in
>>./typo3/.htaccess:
>># php_flag eaccelerator.enable 0
>># php_flag eaccelerator.optimizer 0
>

> Question, didn't try: Would it work to disable shm for the backend but still
> cache the files on the hard disk (shm_only=0)?

Could you be more precise? Whats your goal?

>>To spend 32MB for eaccelerators shm, add this line to your php.ini
>># eaccelerator.shm_size="32"
>

> Same here. Can I change the default value?

Change the default value to 0.
That means your system default is used (Debian Sarge: 32MB)
Anyways this is the default value in the latest source package (0.9.4 RC1)

--
cheers,
Steffen