[Typo3-dev] eaccelerator benchmarking

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Nov 28 09:31:18 CET 2005

Hi Steffen,

> Thanks to Stuckis excellent eaccelerator package for Debian, I decided
> to switch from APC to eaccelerator. I played around a bit with the
> configuration and wondered, what values are best to use with TYPO3. I
> did not focus on speed, but memory consumption. Here's a report about
> my experiences.

Thanks for the information. Looks interesting!

> Recommodations:
> - If you cannot spend enough memory for shm (as a rule <32MB), a
> solution would be to cleanup scripts by short TTL values or even
> completely turn off eaccelerator for the BE (see below).

True. Can you make a suggestion that I can add to the documentation, please?

> - If you have more than one website, you can reduce load by using the
> same source directory for all sites.

Of course.

> - Test your requirements. Increase the amount of memory until the limit
> of needed memory is reached. Then reconfigure your php.ini.
>
> Configuration hints:
> To cleanup memory, delete all memory objects which have not been
> accessed e.g. in the last 30 minutes once shm is full:
> # eaccelerator.shm_ttl="1800"

Does anything speak against setting this value by default?

> To turn eaccelerator off in the BE, add the following two lines in
> ./typo3/.htaccess:
> # php_flag eaccelerator.enable 0
> # php_flag eaccelerator.optimizer 0

Question, didn't try: Would it work to disable shm for the backend but still
cache the files on the hard disk (shm_only=0)?

> To spend 32MB for eaccelerators shm, add this line to your php.ini
> # eaccelerator.shm_size="32"

Same here. Can I change the default value?

> Does anyone have other experiences (or even a more detailed benchmark)
> with eaccelerator? Speed messurements?

There was an interesting article in the German Linux Magazin around this
years summer. It turned out that eaccelerator was the fastest of all
accelerators, even faster than Zends commercial plugin.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out