[Typo3-dev] TYPO3 DBAL development - next phase: collecting issues

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Fri Nov 25 22:16:16 CET 2005

Karsten Dambekalns wrote:

>Dear DBAL enthusiasts,
>
>if you have been experimenting with DBAL for a while, and stumbled across a
>few bugs or shortcomings. Maybe you even want to see some new features or
>need better/other documentation?
>
>This is where I need you. As can be seen on the DBAL project page [1]
>the development of DBAL will go into forward mode again. A first step is to
>collect more issues in the TYPO3 bug tracker[2].
>
>So please help me by doing the following:
> - Skim your notes or ask your co-workers for DBAL-related issues
> - Check whether they are in the bug tracker already
> - If not: *add them* until November 4th.
>
>If you haven't done so yet, you may ceck whether the latest code (available
>in CVS[3]) fixes your problems or does what you need. If so, even better.
>

>I hope to get your feedback, to make DBAL as good as possible for TYPO3 4.0!
>
>Kind regards,
>Karsten

Karsten,

maby a late response but these are related to dbal:

1) The need for put a socked as the host like this:
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Reason: This can speed up connections to the database (any DB) because
the layer doesn't need any TCP overhead as supplied by TCP based connections

2) The need for schema selection
It might be helpfull to supply a schema on where the tables are stored in.
I am not sure if that also applies for mysql but most other RDBM system
you can select schema's.
This can be easely done by specifing a default schema after connection
to the DB.
Reason:
Simply to seperate typo3 tables from other table structures, in my case
about +100 spatial enabled tables

These are the two I just came up with.
I have been using DBAL (and using) running on my dev server for a long
time and seems fairly stable. But

Cheers,
Ries