[Typo3-dev] gettext as default translation system

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Tue Nov 22 20:24:30 CET 2005

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
> Sven Wilhelm schrieb am 22.11.2005 19:14:
>

>>a short and simple question:
>>
>>Is there any reason to NOT use gettext as teh default translation system?
>

> One reason might be that not all PHP-installations provide the gettext
> module. One less requirement for TYPO3 to work. But I agree that
> nowadays this should be the standard. So the main reason today is
> probably just that it would take too much resources on re-implementing
> something that is already working fine. :)
if you force a way only because one day the way was gone, it's a poor
argument.
There is a nice project that "adds" module functionality to
installations that misses something:
http://freshmeat.net/p/upgradephp

So using this way of gettext or the typo3 own way is scripting in both
ways, but having the native gettext system available on several
installation could boost performance.

At least it is a step towards widely-used standards.

> I think currently all language-stuff is loaded into a mega-huge global
> array, so accessing it is pretty fast. Memory is cheap today! :)
hahaha

> Yeah, I miss the typo3-tool to edit the locallang.xml file. I have
> already asked once here, but never got a reply (extention
> "llxmltranslate", see mail from 8.9.2005 10:46).
There is a webtranslation system for gettext hostet on launchpad.net (an
Ubuntu service).

Sven