[Typo3-dev] I don't want to fork!

Tue Nov 22 12:19:04 CET 2005

Hello Kasper,

thank you very much for your personal interest in the discussion. It
would be very nice, if we could do a step on this occasion. Let's talk
about fundation of such a team for FE extension API/best
practice/coordination.

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

[...]

> On the roadmap you see something about "Portal features" planned for version
> 5.0 of TYPO3. Actually I think the version 5.0 ambitions can be divided in
> two:
> - Some are crazy about inner architecture, refactoring etc. This is not going
> to provide new features but rather new possibilities for features.
> - Some are crazy about frontend cross-extension integration - that is you :-)

One can make out this two groups. I think, that we should start with one
team. If that team gets really strong, we may think about establishing a
second.

My vision is, that we should use the refactored BE libraries for the FE
on the long run. Then we only have as much code to care for. The
database layer is a good example for this. Until then the available
FE-API should do it. For that reason the first of your points could be
coverd be the existing core team.

> I think it could be great to form a team for this and at least Elmar seems to
> be ready right away. I would like to join that team and support the work. The
> only thing is that I'm not quite sure if it is the right time for me yet;
> Before I will be able to fully work on this topic with all my mind I will
> have to get past version 4.0 and 4.5 releases first. This doesn't mean the
> discussions can't begin already, but the perspective for some final output
> will be summer 2006 I guess.

I think that we should establish an extension coordinating team as soon
as possible. Over 1000 extensions speak for this.

The central axis of all is the FE user authentication and the address
topic. The most progressed extension here is sr_feuser_register of
Stanislas. But it doesn't install exactly that table fields that we
would come to as the result of this discussion (Peter, Joey, Elmar) for
fe_users and tt_address.

It would be a usefull step to define an officially accepted model for
fe_users and tt_address in the first step and then get it implemented
into sr_feuser_register of Stanislas.

For this reason I think Stanislas maybe could take up a central role in
the team. A FE-Version of htmlArea would be very helpfull, too.

An other big player in FE best practice is Rupert. Certainly there are
other people, too. But some of them are allready much occopied in core
development.

Joey and David show visions and experience how about the DB model in
this thread.

Let me list some names as possible candidates:

Kasper Skårhøj
Rupert German
Stanislas Rolland
Ingo Renner
Sebastian Faulhaber
David Brühlheimer
Joachim Hasenau

But you have a much better overview. Please add your own proposals.

Now, how do you think about? Shall we go to action?

Kind regards

Elmar

--
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...