[Typo3-dev] Code generation library

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 21:10:49 CET 2005

> UML inspireing a whole cascade of very abstract flashes of genious

And ( i have to say ) various other "good
practice" guides / models...

>> Make sense?
>>

> Wow, I am impressed cause only understood half of it. But it gives me a
> taste of the possibilities of UML ...

And (see above) other good practice...

> So when do we get the whole UML Model of TYPO3?
In current or similar form: don't bother. The work
to model TYPO3 as-is is far above the work to
rebuild using standard patterns / architecture.
(IMHO).

> But let's get earnest. UML is the one trick, the other is unit testing.
> Makes it any sense to combine this in the one or other way? Unit tests
> generated out of UML?

Ok - i think we're talking at cross-purposes.

We need a kit, yes. Code generation + management
is only one part. Others are unit testing, agile
programming (technique of..), UML, fully OOP
practices, use of other emerging techniques - e.g.
AOP - where useful (i.e. reduces the amount of
programming you have to do).

So: my code generation is just one part. It isn't
even part of a "new" core, or a "new" architecture
of TYPO3.

It's like this: I've made a digger so that this
time we (/TYPO3 developers / TYPO3 core..) don't
have to use just spades. (Simplistic, but perhaps
you get my point.) BUT, even better that just one
digger, if you don't like parts of the digger you
can use the digger to make a better digger...
Developing the tools is as fast as developing the
software.

dan