[Typo3-dev] I don't want to fork!

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Sun Nov 20 13:53:40 CET 2005

Hi,
>>I rather find tt_address the superfluos table, but in fact it would
>>make sense to move them into one. But now the different tables are
>>coded into many extensions. No easy way to do this move ...
>
> i'd consider fe_user to be the dispensable table because the user data
> should be as complete as possible. in that sense tt_address offers more.
> and yes, you are absolutely right: unfortunately joining these 2 tables will
> probably never happen since 99% of all extensions use the one or the other
> tables. another idea could be a mechanism of synching the tables
> automagically and use infos via a new API.

I think both should remain, but without redundant data. All info
about the account should be in fe_user, and all info about the
user should be in tt_address. And then you have a relation
between them.

Example:
Move all the fields like Name, Address, Phone, Fax, www, Image,
MSN/AIM/Yahoo screen name etc from fe_user to tt_address.
Instead add a field (like the Groups field) in fe_user where you
just choose a person from tt_address. Voila!

But! I guess this is even more difficult to realize than other
solutions, but IMHO it it the most "clean" one. I mean, isn´t
this the reason why we use a relational database like MySQL?  ;-)

/Peter Kindström