[Typo3-dev] utf-8 encoding support in Typo3 3.8.0

Tadas tdslot at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 09:58:33 CET 2005

Hello Everyone,

I just want share my last night experiment result.

I had a problem:

when I set $TYPO3_CONF_VARS["BE"]["forceCharset"] = 'utf-8'; in
typo3conf/localconf.php file all BE and FE encoding enabled in utf-8
it's perfect! I thot :)

I go to Pages create page after create content in my native language
lithuanian I got an error "These fields are not properly updated in
database: (bodytext) Probably value mismatch with fieldtype."

After add russian text and got same error. After all in BE and FE in
contect got some simbols "?" and some squares.

MySQL database have utf8_general_ci Collation, tables and fields have
same collation.

So Typo3 show not correctly pages with utf-8 encoding in BE and FE.

My solution:

I dump MySQL database to .txt with utf-8 encoding and change field types
text, tinytext, mediumtext to blob, tinyblob, mediumblob.
and import .txt file back to MySQL database.

Result:

Now I have correct showing pages with utf-8 encoding. In one content
element now I can put lithuanian, russian, german texts.

So maybe is other solution of this problem maybe I not advanced user of
Typo3 CMS but I think typo3 have problems with encoding and I hope this
problem wil be solved in nearest Typo3 realeases.

Tadas Lotužas