[Typo3-dev] TYPO3 3.8.1 released

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Tue Nov 15 21:05:45 CET 2005

Hi Peter,

>> So finally, the situation is clear now:
>> We have the Install&Upgrade tutorial, and we have this little document
>> that contains 3.8.1 relevant stuff!
>
> I have read through the Installation and Upgrade of Typo3
> (http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_inst_upgr/)
> without finding any information at all about the possibility for
> system extensions being overwritten by old ones.

Sorry, but this is really obvious stuff!

You have three choices to make a TYPO3 upgrade:
- you remove all sources and extract the new version here
- (if applicable) you change the symlink target to the new version
- or you overwrite everything (not recommended)

In any of these cases, it is absolutely clear that the stuff in
typo3/sysext/ and typo3/ext/ will not stay the same!

I think we should rather rewrite the Install&Upgrade tutorial than adding
bogus information to a manual - obviously it is not clear enough what a
global and a system extension is.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out