[Typo3-dev] crop whole words and utf-8

Wolfgang Klinger wolfgang at stufenlos.net
Fri Nov 11 13:07:02 CET 2005

 Hi!

 On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Toni Milovan wrote the following:
> Now, Im using the utf-8 charset and after discussion on typo userlist we
> concluded that problem is probably in utf-8 being multibyte enconding.
>
> I'm interested (if that is the case) has this problem been solved in
> development versions and is that problem solveable at all?

 The used standard "substr" function is not multi-byte safe.

 So I suggest to post this as a bug report.
 Either we use one of those mb_* functions
 http://at2.php.net/manual/en/function.mb-substr.php
 which requires PHP built with --enable-mbstring
 or one of the several available selfmade solutions like
 http://at2.php.net/manual/en/function.substr.php#53200

 kind regards
 Wolfgang