[Typo3-dev] PHP-170 - anyone from typo3 is working on it?

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Thu Nov 10 23:04:49 CET 2005

> Native support for JSR-170 is only realistic in a future version with
> changed architectures. I also still have to understand how the standard
> ensures semantic sense of information across systems. Like XML: It's good
> if we can all write and parse XML, but the true value is if all follows the
> same schema - then information is cross-platform.

You're right. The things I meant about the document model were my
thoughts when I was thinking about a way to archive documents for a long
time. At the moment most of the content is stored in a very unrestricted
way. For distributed content you need more strict rules that describe
the content. Without this you don't now how to handle the content on
other systems. So a document model is the way to describe the content
structure, see a news article as an example (title, subtitle, abstract,
content). As simple as it seems, TYPO3 does not implement this idea
really. Restricting in good way makes the system more useful.

As I discussed with Dan last weekend about the concepts I have announced
a little bit before on the list, we will exactly follow this way.

On the top of the virtual filesystem layer (be able to store documents
to every possible data source in theory) there will be a versioned
document as a base that can be inherited by more complex document
classes. Using this way, it's just one of the protocol layers that is
necessary to exchange documents (also to JSR-170). The way the documents
is used only differs due the access method (filesystem oriented, web
oriented,...)

Our ideas are heavy document centered and this is way I think every
major CMS has to go in near future. In the end it would be nice to know
where the difference between a document management system and a content
management system is.

I hurry up to finish my drafts :)

Sven