[Typo3-dev] Workspace Beta 1

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2005 at typo3.com
Thu Nov 10 21:56:44 CET 2005

Hi Guys,

Thanks for keeping the guessing game up :-)

I can confirm that you are right; With "Page" type versions the ids will
change, references can be lost etc. This is no different from how I
documented it and it is by design. Also: It is nothing to do with
workspaces, this is how the versioning API has been doing it for more than
a year. I have been thinking about the mapping mechanism you are talking
about, it might be possible to do.

However, you have completely missed the fact that "Element" type versions
where no child-elements are involved is the most common type which is used
by default and this type has no destructive influence at all on ids! So you
distort the discussion if you focus too much on this.

The point is; You (might) choose "Page" type versions of pages when you need
flexibility to rearrange content elements on a page more freely than you
otherwise can - and when no external references are involved like from
"Insert Record".

My hope is; Lets work with workspaces and versioning, lets distill some
knowledge through experience about what types of versioning
(element/page/branch) are useful for what purposes - and then lets look at
how we promote their use and which improvements we might like to make. But
right now it sounds like you should actually start out by working with it
in real life first.

Martins idea of "cids" are probably much too complex to implement to make
sense. It would make more sense to introduce a sort of "alias" for content
elements, but again, I think the problem is more "virtual" than you think.

- kasper

--
Kasper Skårhøj