[Typo3-dev] pi_getLL & UTF8 & locallang

Thu May 19 12:13:09 CEST 2005

Hi Thorsten,

> Hi Ingo,
>
> "mixed-mode" does mean having languages that use different "native
> encodings" within one website.
>
> As Masi already stated the locallang.php files are multi-encoded - or
> not  at all, depending on your view. The labels should be edited using
> the  encoding that's "normal" for the language section you're editing.
> There's  an array in class t3lib_cs containing languages and assigned
> encodings.  The default value is iso-8859-1. Depending on the FE
> language and  config.renderCharset the labels are converted to the
> output charset.

Ok, that sounds clear. My Problem is at this point, that we render all
Output to UTF-8 (even German). With most chars this works fine, as we
are able to edit and insert all chars normally used by windows with
eclipse in this file.
But if we go to ru or cn, there are some chars that won't be displayed
on a ISO Windows. So we normally insert the UTF-8 representantive. That
doesn't work because they are encoded twice.

But taking this discussion to an end: There is no way to have ready to
go UTF-8 encoded text for your labels in an extension but using the TS?

The only way i found is to convert to locallang.xml files
(http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extdeveval/PHP_source_code_tuni/)

ingo

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Ingo Schmitt                        mailto:is at marketing-factory.de
Marketing Factory Consulting GmbH   http://typo3.marketing-factory.de/
Content Management mit Typo3: Beratung - Schulung - Realisierung