[Typo3-dev] OT: Hook manager extension for typo3.org

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sat Jun 25 12:04:31 CEST 2005

Hi Stig,

>>> These "hooks" are going to be nightmare to manage and debug once their
>>> number (and number of extensions that may use them) grow.
>>
>> Yes I agree. I once had a discussion with Kasper about when to add a hook
>> and when not.
>>
>> In the end we didn't make a final decision but agreed that it would be
>> very helpful to create some kind of "hook database" on typo3.org.
>>
>> This database should collect information about
>>
>> - the author who requested the hook
>> - the purpose he needs it for
>> - _any_ extension which uses this hook (everybody whould be forced to
>>   register if he uses any hook - in his very own interest!)
>>
>> That way we could easily decide when a hook can be deleted or changed and
>> who needs to be informed about that.
>>
>> Is anybody willing to write such an extension?
>
> I really like the idea. Would be very nice to have an overview through
> such an extension.
> But I don't think I have the knowledge to do this.

That doesn't need deep knowledge! This is just a CD-collection-like frontend
plugin. That's all we need.

The amount of hooks is always growing. If we don't manage them in a useful
way, we have a TYPO3 mainly consisting of hooks one day.

It really would be very helpful if you could do that for us!

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out