[Typo3-dev] Shared contents and several content area templates with TemplaVoila?

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 10:10:27 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 6/19/05, tapio <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
> Christopher wrote:
> > By the way:
> >
> > 1. Sorry for the double post (gmail weirdness?)
> > 2. Tapio, what is this thread doing on the dev list?
> >
> > -Christopher
> Proper solution for shared content - all you proposals were bad!

This is semi-ridiculous. How did you do it using 'mtb'? However you
did it, you can probably do it almost the same way. Incidentally, my
solutions 2 AND 4 should both be workable even if you don't know the
uids of the content elements. Read over the documentation for 'select'
in the TSref [1].

There is an annotated solution on that page that's based on colpos,
but is otherwise almost what you are asking for. It should be simple
enough to alter so that the CONTENT object selects all objects on a
single page; you just create a single page for 'global' content
elements or something and create a CONTENT object in your template
that selects records from that page. There may be a better solution,
but even at 1:00 am after a long day, your problem just seems trivial.

If you're trying to base whether or not content is available based on
what columns are shown on the particular page, then you can do that
too. You first need to finish reading (and doing the examples in) FTB,
and then do the following:

[For the sake of this example, I assume the page layout has three
visible columns:

a) menu
b) content
c) 'shared content',

...and that you would like to have two different sets of shared
content available]

1. Create a FCE with FOUR columns in the DS
2. Put a TS object in column (a) for the menu
3. Set up column (b) so that it can contain content elements
4. Call a TS object from each of the remaining two columns, but
provide a different value for the page id in the select function
5. Create a TO that only includes columns (a), (b), and (c)
6. Create a TO that only includes columns (a), (b), and (d)

By basing these two FCEs on the same TO, your main content will be
unaffected if you switch the from one FCE to the other. At the same
time, your 'shared content' column will change when you switch the
FCE.

Incidentally, I notice you claim that using FCEs ([F]lexible [C]ontent
[E]lements; finish reading FTB before you complain about what it can't
do!) and needing to choose both template and data structures for
content elements is too difficult for end users. *I* have trained
users to do this and so, I suspect, have dozens of others. Perhaps the
problem is that you don't give your users enough credit?

-Christopher

[1] http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_tsref/select/

PS: this whole thread *still* has nothing to do with this list.