[Typo3-dev] dynamic BE forms?

Horn Gábor horn.gabor at aktiv.co.hu
Tue Jun 7 00:46:07 CEST 2005

Hi JB,

thanks for the idea. To be sincere the "alpha" state of templavoila kept
me till now from digging into it and count on it in production
environment (and the fact that i still have many things to learn in more
"traditional" typo3 techniques:) but now i installed it and went through
the doc_tut_ftb1 and all i can sya is WOW :) Stupid me not tested it
earlier :) I just finished it so not an expert in this, but seems FCE's
are definitely what i'm looking for. As i'm new to this topic i'd like
to ask some questions:

1, is it possible/wise to use FCE's for storing not exactly page
contents but as general records eg in sysfolders (like w/ tt_news)? I
couldn't add FCE w/ "create new record" to a sysfolder, althought it
would seem to me me very useful to collect FCE's organized in sysfolders
and display them dynamically where we need them. Eg if i'd like to make
an FCE for storing car data (model, manufacturer, color, price), store a
car once in a sysfolder, then display it on different pages, eg on page
"Mercedes cars" and on page "limousines" and on page "expensive cars". I
know now i can copy the FCE to the other pages, but that's not very nice
imho and becames hard to manage the update of records.
2, If yes and eg i create 10 different FCE's which all has 5-6 "primary
fields" (eg name, manufacturer, announcement date, homepage, price) and
many specific "secondary" (resolution, size, weight in 1st FCE,
frequency, slot for 2nd FCE, layout, color, type for 3ed FCE etc) is
there an elegant way (API?) for displaying/sorting/searching these FCE
records, at least the primary fields if i keep naming them consistent
(field_name, field_mftr, field_announce etc)?

thx, hirisov