[Typo3-dev] About respect

Jean-David Gadina macmade at gadlab.net
Mon Jul 18 18:22:33 CEST 2005

Ok guys, let's talk a bit about respect,
I'm very sorry if this is not the place, but I just can't avoid this...

I've seen today on t3.org a new version of kj_recycler. That
extension exists since a long time, but older versions were
incompatible with new T3 versions. So it has been depreciated by the
DocTeam on the wiki, and on the repository.
I've made, also a long time ago, a similar extension
(content_uneraser), to have a working recovering system on new T3
versions, with some nice visual features which were absent on
kj_recycler.
I've immediately checked the new version. I think «competition»
between extension developers is a very good thing, as it helps to
improve the extensions' features.
But when I checked the code, I saw some parts of my own code, without
any copyright nor credit. My own code comments were completely
stripped, some variables renamed...

I don't care if a developer take my code, as it's released on GPL in
an open-source community. It's even often a kind of compliment. It
show the work is appreciated. But even, and maybe especially with
open-source software, I think they are some rules to respect.

Is it so hard to show some respect to the others' work? Is it so hard
to send me an email just to tell those things? Is it so hard to keep
code comments and to add a little line with a credit? Was it really
the solution to get that extension un-depreciated?

At least, if that developer had contacted me, he would now have my
code working, which is not really the case at the moment. So I'm very
angry right now. Not because someone used my code, it's here to be
used, modified, improved, etc, but because it's a total mark of
disrespect...

I just wanted to say this somewhere, to ease my mind and to come down
a little bit...
- - -
Jean-David Gadina (macmade)
www.gadlab.net - Multimedia Network