[Typo3-dev] Typo3 Application Server

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at mokka.at
Tue Jan 25 13:20:16 CET 2005

Michael Scharkow wrote:

> Okay, I understand that you just leave the connection (or socket) open.
> But this requires at least frame, plus you still need cookies for
> compensating the statelessness of http.

Of course I use cookies ... And I use the T3 authentication framework in
my application ... one more thing why I like to use PHP/T3: I must not code
the authentication again ... I just use the fe_user cookie.

>> thats what I understand under the term "live" or "application" server ...
>> not a server which serves out a site ...then closes connection and
>> gets a request (properly with data from the previous request so you
>> have a
>> reference) again
>

> I think this is a cool hack (is this expensive cellchat thing also
> working with frames and open sockets?), but it requires also hacking to
> get the same thing working in the other direction, so that the client
> doesn't need to click submit (okay, in chat this is desired, but there
> might be other applications where it isn't), so you need JS+XMLRPC like
> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en.

That's another story ... if I find the time I will investigate into this
google thing ... looks interesting. I didn't know such a thing is possible ...

of course you can keep the "incoming" connection open ... but the incoming
connection is also the outgoing ... as if you know HTTP first the HTTP request
headers are transfered to the server and then over the same channel the
HTTP reply header + the data is sent back ...
I knew that it is possible to send further requests over the same channel ...
this is implemented in some browsers so they don't need to open a TCP/IP connection
for every little thing .. they fetch more pages/images over the same TCP/IP con.
I can't remember the name of this method actually ....

> PS: Sorry if this is too OT.

I don't think this is "soooo" off-topic ... we are talking about if it is feasible
and if it would be nice ("coooool") to have such an application server in T3 ...

One application which came to my mind for such an applicaton server is :
A cron-daemon.
If we would have our own in T3 implemented cron daemon then scripts like the dmailer
script and the mailer script from chc_forum could get called by this cronjob and
it would be easy to set such jobs up out of the t3 BE.

but pherhaps i'm just talkin' nonesense and this would be overkill ...

greets,
Bernhard
--
Bernhard Kraft