[Typo3-dev] Typo3 Application Server

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Tue Jan 25 12:10:27 CET 2005

Bernhard Kraft wrote:

> So what I did is the server sends the client the message window in an ifram
> and the browser starts rendering it ...
> if you type in a message it gets processed by the chat server and sent out
> to the message window... the client just notices that there is new data to
> read from this socket and reads it and displays the new data ... so the
> typed in message is displayed ...

Okay, I understand that you just leave the connection (or socket) open.
But this requires at least frame, plus you still need cookies for
compensating the statelessness of http.

> thats what I understand under the term "live" or "application" server ...
> not a server which serves out a site ...then closes connection and
> gets a request (properly with data from the previous request so you have a
> reference) again

I think this is a cool hack (is this expensive cellchat thing also
working with frames and open sockets?), but it requires also hacking to
get the same thing working in the other direction, so that the client
doesn't need to click submit (okay, in chat this is desired, but there
might be other applications where it isn't), so you need JS+XMLRPC like
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en.

Greetings,
Michael

PS: Sorry if this is too OT.