[Typo3-dev] Translation of extension

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Thu Jan 20 13:03:31 CET 2005

Stig N. Færch wrote:

> More problems (maybe not all):

Hi Stig, a lot of these problems seem to be 'political' rather than
technical issues, I guess this demands community efforts...

> - developers have started to use German as default language also in
> documentation

This should be sanctioned for locallang as well as docs. There's also
people who use docs or extension descriptions for advertisement. Get
those extensions off TER if people don't stick to the rules.

> - documentation is lacking or poor. Documentation is needed that you can
> translate correctly the labels.
> -- documentation lacking, no place to compare what the developer means,
> hard to install and see what he/she means
> -- documentation is so poor that many times it is impossible to make
> right translations even by guessing what some label means, or default
> terms are not understandable (even the new glossary doesn't help).

I have a 2 cents here:
1. All extensions above alpha status should have documentation because
docs are needed for translation. This should be enforced technically.

2. Translations should. as a rule of thumb, only be merged if an
extension is above alpha. As a developer, I find the process of
uploading, merging, downloading annyoing, especially when things are
still in rapid development and changing often. I'm always afraid to ruin
the translators' work if I change stuff, or forget to save translation.
(E.g. the amazing Finish translators seem to have translated stuff even
before  I can think of the default labels :)) As said, this goes for
alpha stuff.

> Typo3 is turning to be a German product and all
> these errors in translation software and that there is no respect of the
> work. I don't mean that translations should be over valuated but to
> admit that they are vital part of Typo3 and vital part of Typo3's
> international image. (Any language)

I fully agree (although I'm rather the opposite because I don't even
write German translations although I could...) that these issues are
serious.

Greetings,
Michael