[Typo3-dev] Translation of extension

Stig N. Færch stig at 8620.dk
Thu Jan 20 12:33:17 CET 2005

Robert Lemke wrote:
> Hi Stig,
>
> Stig N. Færch wrote:
>
>> Though I'm the chieftranslator of the danish language, I must say
>> I'm in doubt if I know everything I should know?!
>>
>> Does translations of extensions still take place thru
>> typo3.org>Extensions?
>>
>> If it does why is it still buggy?
>
> if there are no critical bugs which make it impossible for you to
> translate, I can't do much about it right now. As you know, I'm
> currently cleaning up typo3.org and the repository + translation will
> be part of it. However, I can't tell you yet when I reach that point.

Here I bring another colleague-chieftranslators view: ("Stig>" is my
input)
_______________________________________
Yes, there is no critical bugs, but the attitude is wrong, even minor
bugs have been prioritized during last year, colors, misspellings, etc.
in the development work.

Translating things is not kept important.

Yes it's is still buggy. I have reported it to Kasper (before
bugs.typo3.org era) over 1 year ago. He promised to fix it. But I have a
feeling that he is not interested doing it ! Maybe because this
extension by which You can translate extension.

> It seems like the "Go Back"-link which for example is:
> http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/search/macina_searchbox/translate/extensions/repository/search/macina_searchbox/translate/
>
> is wrong put togehter. Shouldn't it just be:
> http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/search/macina_searchbox/translate/
> ??

I'm using back button.

Stig> and then you'll have to refresh the page. I can live with it. But
it is an irritational moment. Especially for people who first try the
"Go Back"-link several times finding out it really doesn't work.
Stig>Also it seems some of the url is just repeated once:
extensions/repository/search/ext_name/translate/
I would imagine that this wouldn't be that hard to fix?? I could be very
wrong though.

> Also this system requires that the developer of the extension merges
> the
> translation. I have a hunch that this not always done regulary. I
> think
> this is a problem.

This is a big problem.
I have made notes of this many many times on dev list but without any
success. I have been told that I should be happy that somebody is even
developing extensions.

More problems (maybe not all):

- developers have started to use German as default language also in
documentation

- documentation is lacking or poor. Documentation is needed that you can
translate correctly the labels.
-- documentation lacking, no place to compare what the developer means,
hard to install and see what he/she means
-- documentation is so poor that many times it is impossible to make
right translations even by guessing what some label means, or default
terms are not understandable (even the new glossary doesn't help).

- developers are making their own words (!) impossible to understand.

- some developers "forget" to save translations already made, even if
they have been sent reminder of it.

Typo3 is turning to be a German product and all
these errors in translation software and that there is no respect of the
work. I don't mean that translations should be over valuated but to
admit that they are vital part of Typo3 and vital part of Typo3's
international image. (Any language)

This is my bad experiences and bad mood of the situation, but I hope You
can see that also others are strugling with the same problems.

Related also:
- that email system by Martin has been also in my mind, but I don't
actually know if it would help!
- there is no date when extension has been updated in repository
listings
- there is not max length for extension name causing listings very wide
in typo3.org
(see: "Gabarits Typo3 - Les bases - Documents traduit du document
original de Marlies Cohen : typo3 Template Basics" should be wrapped or
cut after 32 chars.)
- classification of extensions is bullshit ...

So there is a lot to do with extensions.

How translation is solved when same extension is used multiple times in
same language but with a little different wordings are needed for labels
in each case ?

These were the words of a fellow chieftranslator.

/Stig