[Typo3-dev] Versioning Fix

Karsten Dambekalns k.dambekalns at fishfarm.de
Thu Jan 13 14:40:01 CET 2005

Hi.

On 2005-01-12, Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] <mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de> wrote:
> PostGres seems to allow it - but only as long as you don't use
> contraints (Karsten, please clear things up here)

Right, without any constraints you can change a PK field to whatever
value, including negative.

With constraints it gets different. If you have a foreign key
constraint, it will naturally not allow you to change the field value
unless the value you set it to is present in the referenced
table/field.

This is where the real culprit lies with the current way of versioning
- image we add FK constraints to the standard database tables... and a
user decides to use a system (other RDBMS or MySQL with InnoDB e.g.)
that supports this.

Karsten