[Typo3-dev] Scripting in TYPO3

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Sat Feb 26 12:05:45 CET 2005

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [NF] wrote:
> Alright, but then again: This doesn't make sense to me having that in TS,
> rather than having it via this CLI/Telnet solution, which makes much more
> sense to me !

Okay, maybe there's confusion about I would call scripting:

1. Define an API for everything you can do by clicking here and there in
the BE. This is probably not insanely complicated but a lot of work.

2. Make this API externally available, with an event-driven core which
exposes its interface through different front-ends, e.g. a daemon that
listens for incoming request in *some* form: XML-RPC, or interactively
with a TYPO-shell. Of course, if you use XML-RPC over http, you don't
even need another server daemon.

3. You can 'telnet' to any kind of server, whether http, smtp or whatever.

4. My main issue what be the form/language/protocol to use, because for
interactive scripting, TS sucks, and it's still only a declarative
language. But again, you could write a non-gui client which wraps the
API for scripting purposes.
like here:
http://www.sharp-ideas.net/archives/000048.html

5. If Typo3 had something like the blogger api, writing clients would be
trivial. Of course, the blogger api is primitive but you get my point...

Conclusion: Once we have a complete working and secure XML-RPC
interface, the rest is trivial. So Robert and Rene, go ahead please!

Greetings,
Michael