[Typo3-dev] Project proposal: TypoG

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 16:38:37 CET 2005

Nice idea.

I am really interested in building this and I am willing to help out and
get really involved.

Here are some thoughts:
What would it do? Is it an admin interface? A TYPO3 development tool
(e.g. kickstarter+) or just desktop version of the backend?

I would suggest the architecture being something like:

[TYPO3]<-->[T3:SOAP API]<-->[TYPO3 desktop]

So, you might have:

[TYPO3]<-->[BE User Admin API]<-->[TYPO3 desktop - user admin module]
Or
[TYPO3]<-->[TypoScript API]<-->[TYPO3 desktop - Templating module]

The 2 new layers would be the T3:SOAP API and the TYPO3 desktop. The
TYPO3 desktop should be completely based on standards - XML, SOAP, etc -
so that it can interact with other CMSs. (of course, it will be built
for TYPO3 first).

This approach means that once the T3:SOAP layer is written, anyone can
develop desktop functionality.

The TYPO3 desktop should be modular - and have modules in categories like:
- TypoScript and Templating
- Editorial and records
- Deployment admin (extensions etc)
- Development - access to code in extensions etc
. ...etc...

Each category should use libraries (like services) so that, for example,
when someone adds a new TypoScript module they can use the functionality
of other TypoScript modules. This is important because otherwise we'll
have to develop more desktop functionality everytime TYPO3 functionality
(extensions) is made.

Also, I think Java is a good idea - netbeans or eclipse are fine with
me. I think Java is better for this that C++ because of the number of
libraries out there and the good development tools... and platform
independent.

Dan