[Typo3-dev] Writing a DTD for T3DataStructure simply not possible

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Tue Feb 15 21:18:19 CET 2005

Sven Wilhelm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working with TV on some definded projects.
> During this work I had the wish for a DTD or Schema for T3DataStructure,
> because with such one it would be possible to easily generate such a
> structure with an external DTD-aware XML-Editor.
>
> Also Kasper asked in one of the Docs of the Documentation area that one
> could write such an DTD.
>
> After analysing a little bit the T3DataStructure I say that it is simply
> not possible to write a DTD because of the dynamic use of element names.

The T3DataStructure has IMHO the problem that it seems to be created
ad-hoc, ie to fullfill a certain task at once. It has not the air of a
carful created XML application, but the one of a makeshift tool. Not
beautiful but it does what its creators wanted).

Note: This is my impression. I don't want to offend anyone.

Another thing is that it needless tries to cover all possible
application within Typo3 (TCE, Flexforms, etc).

But I fear it's too late now. Probably too many extensions rely on the
current structure, so that there will be an unwillingness to change it.
It'll break existing code and it will endanger stability of current dev
code on CVS - as it would matter...

So do we have enough benefit to justify the troubles?

Masi