[Typo3-dev] using devLog instead of debug in the core?

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Tue Feb 1 08:06:10 CET 2005

René Fritz wrote:
>>Martin T. Kutschker wrote:
>>
>>>Where should devLog be used? And how should it be triggered?
>
> As Kasper already said there are some parts of the core where debug() simply
> do not work or prevent the core from working. That's so with user
> authentication.

I know the log and I like it. In fact I like it so much I suggest to
remove all debug() in the core and replace it with devLog().

My questions are in as much rethorical as they should've started a
discussion of good places to add devLogs in the core.

I've mentioned one: t3lib_div::callUserFunction

IMHO t3lib_db is a good place. All fatal failures, especially whenever a
query is broken should be logged.

> You can use the CCDevlog extension - if you like - to show the log. I included
> some documentation that suggests to use dev logging like this

A great extension! (Though I noticed that the sorting of the log entries
seems to be dependend of the current option). And I suggest to add the
pid of the process (or some other unique id) so one can distinguish
different runs more easily.

Masi