[TYPO3-dev] Re: [Typo3-dev] Patch to make the EM work with suphp

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Dec 22 18:45:59 CET 2005

Hi Dimitri,

> On 12/20/05, Michael Stucki <michael at typo3.org> wrote:
>
>> The point is that unless you know which group you give write access
>> (applies to most of all cases), the setting should be disabled.
>>
>> Please give me a good reason to not change it besides that you seem to be
>> too lazy to set it manually :-)
>
> How about that MOST *nix processes create files with 664/775 by
> default and this is the filemode a sysadmin would typically expect to
> be there?

Really? But why are my files set to 644 by default?

mstucki at nb02:~$ umask
0022

Until now I was convinced that this umask is used as the default in the *nix
world.

> What if we only change it for suphp-based installations (I think there
> is a way to dynamically determine this in config_default.php) and
> leave everything as it was?

No. We either change it for all or for none of them. Makes things too much
complicated otherwise.

If we don't change it, then we add a note to the docs instead.

> I would guess there are a lot more people who have TYPO3 directories
> shared over SMB using group write permissions than those who suffer
> under the tyranny of suphp ;))

You may be right, I know... :-(

- michael
--