[Typo3-dev] utc_date/utc_time field please for 4.0

Alexander Langer alex at big.endian.de
Mon Dec 12 21:35:02 CET 2005

Elmar Hinz schrieb:

 > If you don't see the relation, it doesn't mean that it is unrealated.
  :-)

If you say so... I can't see how frontend output is related to a backend
problem.

> And that is probalbly the reason why you think you will need a timezone
> flag in TCA. UTC is universial. Everywhere.

Thanks for pointing out the advantage of UTC again.  Maybe, in a silent
minute, I can remember why I originally suggested a utc_date(time)
field, or for backwards compability with older installatoin, suggested a
new, optional "timezone" flag instead of a new field within $TCA, which
will totally break backwards-compatiblity.

Using a "timezone" flag is the most optimal solution for backwards
compatibility:  Extensions running on Typo3-installations up to version
3.8/3.9 can easily ignore this configuration flag and default to the
current client's timezone.  This seems to work for 95% of people here
already, so no reason to change something or force them to upgrade to a
new Typo3-version, just because they want to use the newest version of
the extension.

However, the remainding 5% encountering problems can just upgrade their
installation and are fine.  Currently people try to use the "timezone"
extension, but it can't help in every case.

Alex