[Typo3-dev] RFC: Undo/History-Feature - Design / UI / Usability

Sebastian Kurfuerst sebastian at garbage-group.de
Sun Dec 11 20:08:11 CET 2005

Hi,
I currently re-code the current Undo/History feature to a more usable
form. The current version of my code can be found here:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=1650
The patches are created against CVS. To check it against 3.8.* just
remove out the contents of the function "resolveElement" (NOT the
function itself), but _LEAVE_ "return $uid" inside the function.

Here is what is changed:
      * I reversed the view - new entries are on top now (more common)
      * you can set how many items should be shown in history
      * you can see changes on content elements as well when looking at
        the history of a page
      * inserts and deletes appear in the history now

Every revert has 3 steps now:
     1. see the complete history
     2. see the differences between the current revision of the
        record(s) and the selected time
     3. rollback all changes, some records or some fields of some
        records

What doesn't work yet and brings problems is the "snapshot" feature. I'd
drop it, as the current implementation is not usable. Imagine a
situation where a snapshot is preserved, then some new history entries
are created and they are as well deleted. then the snapshot is in an
inconsistent state as well - that's as it is right now.
I would drop the snapshot feature as this is IMO covered by versioning /
workspaces perfectly. Any comments?

Anyways, I'd like to hear some suggestions on
- usability
- UI design
- Icons (maybe somebody can create some fancy ones?)
(- features)

It'd be great if somebody was interested in it, as I want to integrate
this feature in 4.0.

I appreciate any kinds of comments.

Greets, Sebastian