[Typo3-dev] TER2: global to local functionality

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Dec 11 11:53:01 CET 2005

Hi Robert,

> My policy for TYPO3 installations is that no installation has write access
> to the core source, and therefore can't upgrade global extensions. If
> someone needs a more recent version he has to install it as a local
> extension and by doing that excludes himself from the global upgrade
> cycle.
>
> In my eyes it is not safe allowing a TYPO3 installation to have write
> access on a shared TYPO3 source. And in a shared hosting enviroment that
> is out of question anyway.
>
> Would that solve your request?

I agree with you but think that Robert was talking of a bug which I think
does still exist:

If you have an extension which is only installed globally, and you connect
to the online repository and press the red button left to the extension
name, then it will be overwritten in typo3/ext/ instead of typo3conf/ext/.

However if you first click the extension and view the details page, then you
can select where it should be installed to, and I also think that the
default target is in typo3conf/ext/.

Well, I think that it is just fine if everything can _only_ be installed in
the local repository.

If someone still wants to install something in typo3/ext/, it should be
required to manually change a setting in the install tool...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out