[Typo3-dev] TER2: global to local functionality

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Sun Dec 11 11:15:51 CET 2005

Hi Robert,

Robert Meyer wrote:

> if a user for examples makes an update from tt_news (the
> "original"-version to the new version) this will be made in global, an
> TYPO3-Update will downgrade this extension. Every customer has to move
> tt_news from global to local manually.
>
> So the following idea came to my mind: If an extension-update of a
> global-extension is done T3 asks us if we want to make the extension local
> to keep the update-ability.

My policy for TYPO3 installations is that no installation has write access
to the core source, and therefore can't upgrade global extensions. If
someone needs a more recent version he has to install it as a local
extension and by doing that excludes himself from the global upgrade cycle.

In my eyes it is not safe allowing a TYPO3 installation to have write access
on a shared TYPO3 source. And in a shared hosting enviroment that is out of
question anyway.

Would that solve your request?

Cheers,
robert

--
Robert Lemke
TYPO3 Association - Research & Development