[Typo3-dev] AJAX in TYPO3: call for volunteers

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [DD] jh at digitaldistrict.de
Sat Dec 10 13:22:00 CET 2005

> I as well see what JH wrote, and I can follow him as well. What do you
> suggest, does it make sense to implement two ajax frameworks and the dev
> can choose? Because of reasons how much work it is, I currently like it
> more just to implement prototype and in a later version, we can
> implement other libs on top of this.
>
> Do you think this makes sense? If yes, I'd start changing everything to
> use prototype.

Hi!

I would probably stick to PHP if I am not getting used to Prototype. But I
didn't have a look at prototype yet, maybe it's just as complicate as I
still can cope with it ;)

It's just more easy to do PHP things for me then calling one of the guys
across the room to tell me what's wrong with my JS again :-))))

It's now a separate ajax-extension, which I will push a little further to do
a couple of things automaticly (adding those JS things to the header etc).
If you ask me, I'd vode for xajax, but I would also tell you to choose
something which fit's your case best. At the moment, we are not talking
about interoperability between extensions though. If this IS a topic, we
should seriously find one way to go. And if prototype seems the best way to
go, I'd probably go deeper in that as well ;)

Just an idea: Could there be some sort of abstraction, so that if we stick
to an available ajax implementation, that we can easily change it later on
with just rewriting those abstraction? I know it's possible from the PHP
side, what about the JS-side, is it possible here without too much work?

The reason:
Wolfgang is right with that we should stick to reliable available material
instead of rewriting anything, but ajax is some sort of new "architecture",
I'd not expect that all of the available implementations will still be in
development in 1 or 2 years. It's just not very mature at the moment.

JH