[Typo3-dev] BE - mixing modules and regular forms

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Sat Dec 10 09:38:28 CET 2005

Elmar Hinz wrote:

> I am curious for your form library. You probably followed the thread
> with the topic "frontendformslib". I have given a short feature
> description of my personal simple FE form library.

There has been a lot of debate on FE forms rendering lately, be it with
ameos_formidable or Robert's frontendforms. But most of them are only
about making $TCA-based rendering possible in the FE.

> I think it an interesting question if your generic low-level form
> library will serve for FE and BE forms.

Low-level means that you still have to define all fields manually, only
a lot more elegant. Like

$myform = new t3lib_form();
$myform->add_string_field('username','Enter your
username',array('validates'=>'required');
$myform->render();

> In my simple FE library I have a direct relation from table field to the
> form element. There is no layer in between. It only can use the typo3
> DB-layer. No division in model and view. So it doesn't work with
> model-view-controller schema.
> Does your form library support mvc? Can it handle other data then
> through the db-layer?

Although the formlib itself is ignorant of MVC, my general idea (which
is shared by Kasper and others here) is that we should make TYPO3 more MVC.

This means that the $TCA-model will be rendered using formlib, although
I'm still undecided whether this should be part of the model
$tt_news_object->render_form() or an external method, like
t3lib_tcaform->render(tt_news).

Cheers,
Michael