[Typo3-dev] Call for volunteers: fe extension coordination team

Mon Dec 5 13:46:31 CET 2005

Hello Parick,

thanks for joinig.

Patrick Rodacker schrieb:
> I agree with that.
>
> First of all I think the new project team has to coordinate its work
> with the already existing 'extension reviewing team' during the progress
> of selecting 'valuable' extensions.
>
> IMHO there is a need to evaluate the existing extensions in a more
> complex way than currently done. E.g. there should be an easy way for an
> administrator to notice if a specific extension renders XHTML valid
> content. Another example could be the correct usage of the DBAL. This
> could be done by an icon for each feature which would be presented in
> the TER (TER2) as well as the Extension Manager in the Backend.

The extension reviewing concept itself didn't success. According to the
posts in this list some weeks ago, it will be replaced by voting for
extensions. I hope it finds it's way into TER2, soon.

It rather died of to much complexity or to less motivation to do the
job. Reviewing is a hard job. It would only work if reviewers get some
kind of reward for it.

But we should ask the members to join extension coordination. In fact
some already have shown their interest.

> As you proposed the next step would be to define some portal standards,
> which could not only be a standard for future fe_extensions but which
> could also serve as a basis for some preconfigured installation packages.

Yes!!! Good startup project, preconfigured installation packages.

As for the 'valuable' extensions I propose to have a subproject that
configures an integrated setup of a choice of them. To get the
experience and to get a modern portal quickstart package.

Similar developments:

http://test.typo3.us/fileadmin/typo3us/home/support/developers/learningtypo3/planning/rtg_design_guide_v1_nov_23.pdf
http://webempoweredchurch.org
http://www.chsoftware.net/index.php?p=usewarewos

The whole is more than the sum of it's parts.

Regards

Elmar

- --
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...
Production of CO2 is killing people.
Production of CO2 just for fun is killing people just for fun.