[Typo3-dev] Call for volunteers: fe extension coordination team

Patrick Rodacker rod at biba.uni-bremen.de
Mon Dec 5 12:36:55 CET 2005

Hi Elmar,

I am very interested in this topic and I can offer some help though I am
not a very good programmer.

> IMPORTANT: The task of this team can't be to develop the FE-library,
> because we can assume that in future the  BE-library will be used for
> more and more FE-functionality. Our first focus should be to coordinate
> the already existing extensions and especially those that are currently
> in development. Our second focus should be to start the definition of
> the upcoming "portal standards".

I agree with that.

First of all I think the new project team has to coordinate its work
with the already existing 'extension reviewing team' during the progress
of selecting 'valuable' extensions.

IMHO there is a need to evaluate the existing extensions in a more
complex way than currently done. E.g. there should be an easy way for an
administrator to notice if a specific extension renders XHTML valid
content. Another example could be the correct usage of the DBAL. This
could be done by an icon for each feature which would be presented in
the TER (TER2) as well as the Extension Manager in the Backend.

As you proposed the next step would be to define some portal standards,
which could not only be a standard for future fe_extensions but which
could also serve as a basis for some preconfigured installation packages.

With best regards
Patrick