[Typo3-dev] TypoScript - my point of view

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Thu Dec 1 14:54:06 CET 2005

Elmar Hinz schrieb:
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>> * Storing of TypoScript
>>
>> Naturally TS itself will be stored in it's native formar, which is
>> text. To speed up TS processing TS could be stored in such other
>> format for caching purposes. IMHO xml is a bad choice for cache data,
>> PHP serializing should be more efficient. But we must keep the
>> conditionals in mind!
>
> This seems to me one of the most difficult part. Condtitions are not
> correlated to the node tree nature of TS in any way. It has a rather
> linear nature.

No, it's more like the C-preprocessor. It's outside the language itself.
Which means, you get a new instance of the TS object tree for each
possible combination of all conditions in use.

What's perhaps possible is to split up the TS source code into parts.
Resulting in one TS object tree for each part (for caching). When
resolving the actual TS for a TYPO3 (HTML) page then these objects get
mapped/merged together (in the correct order), dependeing on the conditions.

>> * Formalizing Typoscript
>>
>> IMHO the main problem of existing TS is that it has no formal
>> description. This shortcoming defies any reasonable debugging or
>> editing help like syntax highlighting or property tooltips (like in MS
>> visual studio, etc).
>>
>> If a way can be found to describe the syntax and define the objects
>> and their properties, we can both validate the code and provide better
>> assistance.
>>
>> I think that for this part xml is a good choice.
>>

> You find a formalized description of the syntax in TSref.

Formalized and machine readable! Something like xml schema.

Masi