[Typo3-dev] TypoScript 2: a bit of a RFC

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Thu Dec 1 09:06:00 CET 2005

dan frost wrote:
> This is kind of OT - but I think that the value of TS will be increased
> if we reduce what TS is meant to do.
>
> That is - don't try to add to TS becuase it will make TS more useful...
> reduce TS to a limited language that performs a set of things well, and
> predicably. When you've achieved that, expand the language.
>
> Thought #2 - do not invent a new language / syntax if one exists
> already. If you think TS is just a config language, use an XML language;
> if it is a functional language, use a python-like syntax; if it is a
> fully functional language, use PHP... there's no point in building new
> stuff when old stuff exists....

I am not sure if there is a saying like this in english too, but in
germany we say "die in beauty".

Means: TS might not be the nicest approach from the coding view of
things. And I definetely think that I am not the one to lecture you in
code ;-).

But:
It would be a waste of resources to rethink, reconcept and rewrite the
whole thing.

I agree that:
- HTML cObj should be removed (asap)
If this is done, the switch case in tslib_content of HTML should point
to TEXT as well as with a message in the TOB that you are using
deprecated cObj names.
- GIFBUILDER->TEXT should be renamed to GIFTEXT (or any other thing that
works) OR give the GB-TEXT function call (I hate the word object here)
most of the features of the standard TEXT cObj call.
Same as above here - people need to be advised that something has changed.

Some other changes Mr. Stucki proposed make sense to me too.
- constants inside constants
nice idea. Never needed it, but still might prove useful if I think
about it.

- merging
I am not sure yet what he meant here.
Some sort of "whoops, I used the TSOB for changing values 20 times and I
want my code cleaned up?"

- conditions
If I recall right, Kasper wrote a concept or even a proof of concept in
this TS indepth study document.
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_ts/Implementing_Conditi-1/

all the best
Mattes

--
if ($GLOBALS['TSFE']->fe_user->user['ahnung'] == 0) {
	$this->fresseHalten = 1;