[Typo3-dev] The donation issue - please join this debate!

Georg Kuehnberger georg_ml at kuehnberger.com
Sun Aug 21 05:48:33 CEST 2005

Stig
( just to answer your questions, rather than prolonging the discussion)

At 10:13 19.08.2005, Stig Nørgaard Færch wrote:
>Georg Kuehnberger wrote:
>   > - Glad to be part of TYPO3 for quite some time by now I know:
> >         - Significant developments are not done by 10$ (even not 400x
> > 10$) contributions, but rather by significant contributions by a few;
> >                 >> which leads me to: forget those group-actions on
> > large scale
>
>So you say that there are not enough people willing to donate small amounts?
>Large Scale? You mean core development?
>What about other projects like smaller extensions and the TemplaVoila
>extension?

- YEP, I'm talking about the development of larger functions, which in the
most cases end up in the core or at least as /sysext
- I don't perceive TV being a small extension;
- For clarification you might do the math again:
         - 4 x 1.000 EUR makes 4/8 (6/12) contacts via
mail/call/bookkeeping between the mentioned projectowner & 4 - 6 sponsors.
         - 400 x 10 EUR makes
                 - a new tool, workflow ..... concept ....
                 - maybe 399 disgruntled users ( as they might need the
features requested in time ), who might even turn away from the project.

- I'm not hesitating to use a tool, which adds a nice and maybe working
push in the right direction, that is getting people to be used for the
concept of sponsoring.
- I'm rather in fear of the above painted situation, and to be honest I
don't wanna be the person in charge for this certain 400 x 10 Extension;
(just thinking of issuing 400 bills);

> >                 >> and forget about the idea that yet another new tool
> > would change the real-world-contribution-situation;
>
>Yet another? Has anything new like this been tried in the Typo3 community?
>I don't think we should just forget about new ways to do things even
>before they are tried out. There are Typo3 people out there who are
>willing to donate small amounts to different projects/extensions. But I
>also think that there are reasons to why they don't, which can be solved
>by things like fundable.org.

- yet-another: YES: As mentioned before: we do have a tool called TYPO3,
being a Realtime-CMS for communicating the status of sponsering.
- has anything like this being tried before?
         - In an automated way? none of which I know of ( to be corrected
by people in the know );
         - small-scale, non-automated though groupdriven: YES ( we did this
some month ago within the tuga.at )

> >         - Transparence is essential:
> >                 >> this is / was already done on .com/ .org (I once saw
> > it but don't find it anymore - was it deleted) similar to:
> > http://www.skyrix.de/en/produkte/BYF/project_state.php
>
>Yes, I do agree very much on this. You should be able to follow the
>development state.
>I also think that we could attract more people to Typo3 in general if
>development activity was more visible.

I do hope this will be seconded by more than the participants of this
discussion;
though I doubth this needs any form of "automation";

> > BTW:
> > Me thought, we do have a CMS for realtime update of websites ... having
> > a look at the ammount of content and frequency of change at eg.
> > http://www.skyrix.de/en/produkte/BYF/project_state.php I'd guess we
> > don't need yet another tool.
>
>Don't understand what you are saying here.

see above: use the tools available to communicate right (that is as
transparent as possibe);

> > Just my two toughts following the subjects imperative;
> > g night g
>
>Thanks for your contribution to the discussion.
>/Stig

cheers g