[Typo3-dev] Advanced user/user group TS config

tapio tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Fri Aug 19 21:11:18 CEST 2005

Tyler Kraft wrote:
> Hi
>
>  > Why not me could present some idea - it seems that if I present some
>  > idea it is always incorrect. Okay you want that I would never present
>  > any ideas in this list.
>
> I must agree here - you never seem to help, but only keep asking for
> this, that and the other thing!

I thought that this is also a forum to discuss, which could be
reasonable to implement.

 >Most of which is not needed.

Just your opinion. I have many times got another answer, for example

'You have my support.'

That concerns *this* issue.

> sense.  Again this might be a language issue

I admit that my English is not very good.

> Many of the issues you have raised are not really issues or
> very very minor issues IMHO.

Just your opinion. The problem is that many in the dev group seems to
think matters too much like nerds. I try to think Typo3 at the side of
avarage users.

> What your suggesting is a longer page with more mark up, and more
> complexity for the user (with checkboxes AND an editable field) and

if someone doesn't understand TypoScript I thought that they could be easier

> longer download times

That is not true if the result it the same as just writing TypoScript.
Default values could be skipped, when they don't increase the size of
setup record. And that concerns just BE or FE editing, which might
become slower but not necessary. Changes would not affect anything to
the actual web-sites.

>not to mention valuable time wasted by the dev
> team to create, implement, and test... All so we can have more
> conversations about all the redundancy that exists. NO THANKS!

Ok then - but I don't understand why you behave so angry.

>YOU to LEARN typoscript like the rest of us damn users. Typoscript is
> fine and non-admin users should not be editing the user permissions

You didn't understood the point. I can set with TypoScript some setup
BUT I will not in future the webmaster of my customers. I would not be
the admin user but a person, who don't understand TypoScript at all.

Ok. I can give my phone number to ask, what to do.
I can say 'put this way and it does that'
But a tiny error and everything is incorrect.

> begin with.  So if that is the problem and you feel you can't find what
> you need to try to understand typoscript then guess what

I have understood most TypoScript - there are *some* - but not many -
which I have had difficulties.

> perhaps not to the dev list - especially if you don't yet understand typoscript!

I understand it quite much. I have done many sites using it. I just have
not found some solution for *some* setup issues.
TypoScript has so much features that I don't know all.

Issues, which I have recently raised concerns making Typo3 easier for
average user.