[Typo3-dev] The donation issue - please join this debate!

Stig Nørgaard Færch stig at 8620.dk
Thu Aug 18 12:12:50 CEST 2005

Hi again.

Robert Lemke wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Stig Nørgaard Færch wrote:
>

>>So shouldn't something be comunicated out?
>>I don't think that fundable.org is very known.
>>It should almost be frontpage news ;-)
>
> After thinking about it for a few days, I came to the conclusion that
> _something like_ fundable.org is a great thing, but still I don't like the
> fact that you need Paypal for it. It doesn't mean that nobody should use
> fundable.org, but I imagine that in my case it's even easier to handle:

I really don't adorse Paypal either. I don't like that Paypal should
have a piece of the cake.

> Let's take TemplaVoila as an example. I have to deliver version 1.0 in
> December, no matter what. I need 100 marbles for the 8 weeks of work so I
> put a donat-o-meter on some page which has a zero-line of 100 marbles (or
> Euro) and shows the current amount of donations. People can then transfer
> money directly to me (or use Paypal if it's not possible by other means)
> and I will publish a list of donators and keep the donat-o-meter updated.
 >
> I think it will work in this case because there is no question if the
> project should start or not.

In this situation I also don't think that fundable.org is absolutely
necessary.

> So what if that is not so clear and we have to
> wait until enough people have shown their will to sponsor?
>
> Again, for me the easiest solution (without giving some company 4%) is this:
> I write on some page how much money is neccessary to realize a certain
> project. People who would like to sponsor amount x, should write me an
> email until a certain date and give their word that they really will
> sponsor x euro at date y. They are listed on some public page. If there are
> enough people I'll email all of them and ask them to transfer the money.

The problem I see here is, - there are no system for this. I think we
need an easy an elegant solution (should be a a part of the
donate-o-meter extension where you'll have to be logged in) to do this.
If you just have to write an email, i don't think it's structured enough
(well, maybe it is for the TemplaVoila project?)

> In that case I would take the risk that all money comes together, but those
> who don't pay although promised, take the risk to be flamed ...

Yes... or you could hang people out on a blacklist on the frontpage ;-)
I could live with this... one or the other.

> In total I agree with all of you that we need some procedure and tools to
> make donations easier, the donat-o-meter extension could be one of them (I
> already talked with René about it). On the other hand I would like to avoid
> paying even more money to a company like Paypal (= Ebay) which forces
> people to spend days reading their user agreements [1].

I understand what you are saying, and I agree.
But until donate-o-meter is finished (probably not this year), we have a
great alternative in fundable.org in my mind. So what Paypal takes 4% if
development is boosted until the new donate extesnion arrives.

> Anyway, technically Paypal is a cool solution ...

Yes... but it's greedy ;-)

/Stig